The company was founded in 1955 by Len Harrop and his wife Elsa who started out producing weaving machines from a small shed in the Victorian suburb of Brunswick. Their formula for customer satisfaction was good old Australian ingenuity and hard work.
The business grew steadily, and they expanded into other areas, including industrial food-processing equipment and heavy haulage and earthmoving accessories.
In 1963, Len and Elsa's son, Ron, joined the business after completing a boilermaking apprenticeship. Ron's enthusiasm for 'making things' began at an early age. By the age of 10, he was welding together go-karts in the back shed. As a teenager, his passion extended to modifying cars, such as his first MGTC powered Morris Minor, his much-loved Holden EH and his famous FJ. Ron's enhanced FJ quickly became the leader in its class for quarter-mile competitions. Originally bought for $29 from racing identity Norm Beechey, it became known as "Harrop's Howler".
Innovative designs combined with on-track success have contributed to a company philosophy and reputation that today see Harrop Engineering held in high regard by the motor sport industry. Harrop is proud to have played a part in the success of racing teams over the past 30 years a tribute to the precision and design of the performance products the company has supported and continues to supply.